Severe weather conditions can be devastating if objects are not properly secured.
Best practice reccommendations:
- Structures and equipment should be designed so that water cannot collect and form ice
- Establish routines for inspection before, during and after adverse weather conditions, such as strong winds, high waves, and the risk of ice / falling ice
- Use available time during shift changes to carry out an extra check of equipment that may loosen
- Check whether the workplace is clean and tidy. Equipment stored on deck and in other areas may be blown over by the wind or downdrafts, so check the securing devices
- Check windsocks, wind sensors, floodlights, antennas, antenna masts and scaffolding
- Carefully check that equipment in the vicinity of the helideck is sufficiently secured
- Check for any loose objects on roofs, load carriers and in all storage areas
- Check that the lids of storage boxes are secured.